Re: Replace lockmgr for vnodes

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 06:24:23PM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The following patch uses a reader/writer lock to replace the lockmgr locks
> on vnodes. There are very few users of lockmgr() left and this is a step
> towards removing it.

Four things come to mind:

1) Thank you for continuing to improve our locking and SMP. :-)

2) How do/did we handle the issues that lead to us wanting LK_DRAIN?

3) I think it'd be nice if we could retain something akin to
lockmgr_printinfo(). I realize that our locking is now such that we need
to print more than just one big heavy lock. However being able to figure
out what's up/broken with locks can help. :-)

4) I think we can rip out the "UPPER LOCK" stuff in layerfs. It dated from
when lower file systems didn't do locking. The only thing now that doesn't
export a vn_lock is unionfs, which does do correct locking. Sorry, I've
been meaning to kill it but haven't gotten to it.

Thanks!

Take care,

Bill