Subject: Re: reboot due to critical battery level
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <veego@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/20/2007 20:54:48
On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 10:16:07AM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:22:44 -0700
> Sverre Froyen <sverre@viewmark.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 20 December 2007, Dieter Baron wrote:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > yesterday my notebook shut down twice ``because the battary is
> > > critically low''.  Never mind that A/C was connected and the battery
> > > fully loaded.
> > >
> > >   So my question: Can I disable that shut down?  If not, where in
> > > the sources is it, so I can comment it out.
> >
> > Comment out the shutdown command
> > in /etc/powerd/scripts/sensor_battery.
> >
> There's kernel code that does it, too
[..]

Wait a second.

The kernel things it knows all power state and what it has to do and
you can't disable this behaviour?

This seeems to be very wrong. That code should be disabled by default.
At least for now, given all the acpi problems. Later we can add a switch
to disable that kernel interface and don't get into any acpi trouble.

I wouldn't trust such a system where the kernel decides to issue a shutdown
because of a wrong event.

Bernd