Subject: Re: reboot due to critical battery level
To: Steven M.Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/20/2007 14:27:39
On 20-Dec-07, at 2:17 PM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> Again, I suggest you actually look at powerd and pmf. You get ample
>> warning before we force a shutdown, plenty of time to notify yourself
>> before it reaches critical state.
>
> I have looked at powerd and parts of pmf.

The problem with what you are suggesting is that depending on the age
and condition of the battery, 5 minutes of runtime (or even 5 minutes
of suspend time) may be too long. I have an older Powerbook that is on
its second battery, where when it reports critical battery I only have
about 20 seconds if I cancel the shutdown.

Going forward, what we want to do on a critical battery condition is
to suspend to disk, but we're not there yet.

Jared