Subject: Re: reboot due to critical battery level
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/20/2007 16:35:06
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:16:07 -0500
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> wrote:

> There's kernel code that does it, too; before the fix was developed --
> as you and others have noted, this is code that is improving very
> rapidly -- I experienced a power-down while in single-user mode.
> (Aside: there really needs to be a sysctl controlling what happens.  I,
> for example, would prefer a suspend.)

powerd(8) has all the information.

You experienced a power-down unexpectedly because acpiec(4) wasn't
providing correct data. And I don't agree with your suggestion, because
if you suspend it while the system is in low power, there will be the
same issue... the battery will be finally discharged.

Anyway, if you want this feature feel free to provide a patch or use
powerd(8) and change the default action in the 'low-power' event.

The code we have currently avoids losing data or fscks, so you at least
don't waste extra time after booting a system that was out of battery.

--
Juan Romero Pardines	- The NetBSD Project
http://plog.xtrarom.org	- NetBSD/pkgsrc news in Spanish