Subject: Re: reboot due to critical battery level
To: Sverre Froyen <sverre@viewmark.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/20/2007 10:16:07
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:22:44 -0700
Sverre Froyen <sverre@viewmark.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 20 December 2007, Dieter Baron wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > yesterday my notebook shut down twice ``because the battary is
> > critically low''.  Never mind that A/C was connected and the battery
> > fully loaded.
> >
> >   So my question: Can I disable that shut down?  If not, where in
> > the sources is it, so I can comment it out.
>
> Comment out the shutdown command
> in /etc/powerd/scripts/sensor_battery.

There's kernel code that does it, too; before the fix was developed --
as you and others have noted, this is code that is improving very
rapidly -- I experienced a power-down while in single-user mode.
(Aside: there really needs to be a sysctl controlling what happens.  I,
for example, would prefer a suspend.)