Subject: Re: ACPI LCD brightness control
To: Yorick Hardy <yhardy@uj.ac.za>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/20/2007 04:37:38
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Yorick Hardy wrote:
> On my computer the LCD brightness is controlled using ACPI.
>
> I attach a patch for the acpilcd driver which provides sysctl
> support to control the brightness (lcd1.patch). The driver
> attempts to support part of Appendix B.6 of the ACPI specification
> 3.0b.
[...]
> Any suggestions or corrections?

Funny you should mention this, I began work on the display switching piece
of this problem yesterday.

The problem with this patch is in the way it exposes the brightness knobs
to userland -- it leaves no portability for other scripts.

I will contact you off-list about merging your brightness control code
with my display switching stuff.

Cheers,
Jared