Subject: Re: Recording reboot in boothowto
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/17/2007 14:01:33
On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 02:15:50PM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
> Giving drivers an understanding of boothowto isn't ideal. This is why (some
> months ago) I requested that the power stuff communicate with drivers using
> a simple message interface. For example, you could handle it by sending a
> "suspend for reboot" command to the driver. If it returns back and says it
> doesn't understand that, follow up with the usual suspend command.

That adds a lot of complication for very little gain though. The only
case so far where a driver wants to distinguish between "suspend for
reboot" and "suspend for S3" are the disk drivers. Keep in mind that
complication is what we had before and IMO one reason why we don't have
that many powerhooks in the system.

Note that I don't care if we use boothowto or a global enum system_state
(RUNNING, REBOOT, HALT, POWERDOWN, PANIC or so). But I think for the
rare cases we do care about, using a side channel is in the spirit of
KISS.

Joerg