Subject: Re: mutex fault
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa <jam@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/13/2007 21:21:20
Hi,

This is an update of my situation.

I have been using NetBSD 11/27 with LOCKDEBUG and Manuel's
last patch.  It is running over 3 days without any crashes.
However, it is running slow.  Especially, WinXP running on
xen3-hvm is really slow.  Maybe alot of locks to run WinXP?

I'm afraiding this will not crash.  Because I'm thinking
that this slowness may hide the rare condition causing the
crash previously.

Anyway, it's running, so I will leave it as is for a while
to see whether it crashes or not.  If you have any idea to
try, please let me know.  Thanks.

   On Dec 10, 19:23, Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa wrote:
   > Subject: Re: mutex fault
   > Hi Manuel,
   >
   > This is quick update.  The kernel (11/21) with your patch
   > was crashed.  I'll atatch the trace log at the bottom.
   >
   >    On Dec 10,  6:44, Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa wrote:
   >    > Subject: Re: mutex fault
   >    >    On Dec 9, 15:05, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
   >    >    > Subject: Re: mutex fault
   >    >    >
   >    >    > If the problem is from softint_schedule(), the attached patch avoids calling
   >    >    > it, and should be safe even when the current IPL is IPL_HIGH.
   >    >    >
   >    >    > Kazushi, can you try it too ? I see the panic only once in 2 days on my
   >    >    > systems ...
   >    >
   >    > Thanks.  I'm trying this now with -O0 and -g but without
   >    > LOCKDEBUG.
   >
   > Now, I'm going to try the similar kernel (11/27) with
   > additional LOCKDEBUG option and your patch.  I needed to
   > change the date of kernel source since 11/21 kernel aborted
   > at the booting time with LOCKDEBUG option.  11/27 kernel is
   > still aborting at the rebooting time, but I'm hoping this is
   > a minor problem.
   >
   > On the other hand, I may need to try the latest kernel to
   > avoid these glitches.  Manuel, if you have your xenevt.c
   > patch for 1.17 xenevt.c, please send it to me.  Thanks.
   >

   > Here is the log.  No LOCKDEBUG option yet, though.
   >
   > ----

-- Kazushi
You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.