Subject: usb interfaces (was: Renovating autoconf(9))
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/11/2007 19:21:39
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Brian Buhrow wrote:

> 	Also, if there's a way to have USB devices have multiple
> personalities, i.e. the Novatel WCDMA card which shows up as a serial port
> and as an SD  card reader.  This may be orthogonal to the autoconf project
> you're discussing, but if it's relevant, itmight be useful to address
> the issue here.

It seems that USB should have this capability already; the device
interfaces are attached individually unless a driver claims for the whole
device. So far as I know, all the USB interfaces would be attached
separately if they presented themselves properly.

As to why your card doesn't show up that way I couldn't say, but if it is
presenting itself in a manner not understood by our stack then either our
stack could be fixed or a special driver written to handle the device and
split the functionality into appropriate directions..

iain