Subject: RE: Renovating autoconf(9)
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/11/2007 11:31:44
On 10-Dec-2007 Quentin Garnier wrote:
> If you have more specific needs or rants about our currnet autoconf(9)
> that I would not be aware of, this is your chance to see them
> addressed.

Two things I would like to see:

1) The ability to config_defer until a specific device is found.  For example,
I would like to defer detection of the keyboard, until the wsdisplay device has
been found.

2) The ability to config_defer until a certain point has been reached.
Specifically, I want to config_defer isa, until all PCI host bridges have been
found and probed out.  This is important on machines that have multiple host
bridges, as in these machines, isa is probed too early.

One way of doing 2 that occurred to me, (this is just a brainstorm) is to have
a cookie of some kind.  So isa defers waiting for a cookie to appear that says
"isa is ok to probe now".  When I finish my pci probes, I simply set the
cookie, and config_defer will notice, and start probing the isa stuff.  (the
cookie would be somehow generic, so you could set multiple cookies while doing
autoconf, it need not be isa specific)

That method might also be the answer to 1.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/