Subject: RE: autoconf(9) tree in an odd hardware arrangement
To: Elad Efrat <elad@bsd.org.il>
From: De Zeurkous <zeurkous@nichten.info>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/25/2007 00:28:52
Haai,

On Sat, November 24, 2007 13:45, Elad Efrat wrote:
> De Zeurkous wrote:
>
>> If anyone would like to take a look at my TODO, just ask and I'll put it
>> up and post a link to it. Perhaps it'll clarify things a bit. Then
>> again,
>> maybe not.
>
> I don't know about others, but I'd like to see your THINGSDONE. :)

Hm, finally someone saying something productive. A severely abridged
version that should capture the spirit (although I'm not telling which one
>:P):

-Designed FBSF as a random pet project; will make a come-back in the lower
layers of the upper layer of Mare-III;
-Got fed up with both C and -- to a lesser extent -- the inconsistencies
of most shells, and decided upon a more BASIC-like approach (Category:
Foolish mistakes of the past). Began work on ZCode (ZeurCode, unrelated to
any Infocom stuff), a severely cut-down version of FBSF (which the new
version of I have not published anything about, BTW);
-Abandoned work on ZCode (although it, again, will make a come-back as the
lowest, strictest layer of FBSF) and started Mare: a proof-of-concept IRC
bot written in sh, to shut some people up who persisted in believing the
basic shell model could not be used practically beyond startup scripts and
minor automation. Turned out to be a major win comparing to other IRC bots
(I'm talking about people writing their own, not mIRC or eggdrop or crap
like that): concise, easily expandable, and not being perverted by C in
any degree (which is /not/ to be used for high-level crap). It was also
much faster than expected;
-Mare became increasingly unmaintainable. Switched to zsh to compensate;
-After some time, another complexity barrier was hit. Designed and
implemented Mare-II, which was much more modular, parallel, and genuinly
usable for a lot of crap beyond IRC bots. Never came around to clean up my
primary tree (consisting mainly of random implementation), though (it was
running a complete IRC services package by now :^). It was also much
slower than expected, due to still running on Lunix and thus having to
deal with it's broken scheduler;
-Developed an even greater appreciation for the Unreal Execution
Environment and put some (mostly superficial) Unrealisms in Mare-II;
-Due to complicated circumstances (only partially beyond my control), shut
down the remainder of the (still small) Korax IRC network for now. This
was in September 2006. Development on Mare-II stagnated while I completely
reviewed the design;
-Decided upon augmenting NetBSD into NetNIX, and together with Mare-III
create a more layered replacement for Plan 9: Plan 69 from Korax
Productions;
-Began design on the final version (toyed with a lot of ideas during
Mare-II) of Mare-III. Began implementing some prototype stuff for the
bootstrap (I'm /not/ going to bootstrap kxrc in C until I've implemented
the shext-to-C converter, thank you) which would later grow into shext,
the latter of which /should/ be finished soon and released.

There you are :)

Baai,

De Zeurkous

Friggin' Machines!

P.S.: If you want to know about the Mangling Machines, don't be afraid to
ask...

--
% NetBSD, zsh, twm, nvi and roff junkie
From the fool file: