Subject: Re: ISA direct config of ACPI devices
To: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/23/2007 20:07:53
joerg@britannica.bec.de said:
> You can assume the 1:1 mapping, but ignoring that, we already have at
> least one such device supported. HPET at both amdpcib and ichlpcib.

The HPET is built into the chipset so it is not even limited
by the LPC protocol.
The ACPI ressources seem to be powerful enough to describe LPC
as well as any chipset internals, so it seems there is not a big
difference in practice. As long as ACPI is used -- alternatively,
intimate knowledge of the chipset is needed.

> have a patch for that to make it use as full timer

Btw, did you consider a higher resolution profiling timer?

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt