Subject: Re: ISA direct config of ACPI devices
To: Jared D. McNeill <>
From: Matthias Drochner <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/22/2007 20:45:10 said:
> The compatible interface is an ISA interface

I really don't want to get into pointless sophistry here,
but the interface is just a set of registers mapped into
the address space.
The "PC platform" is (among other details of course) defined by
certain facilities mapped to well-known addresses. One could
even call that "ISA" (as the Architecture), but there is no
technical need to connect this to some ISA bus.

> .. at which point, we will want a separate legacy-free PC port

If we seperate what is integral component of the PC architecture now
(hmm - "architecture" is certainly not the right word for that mess)
from optional ISA bus specific things we should be able to get
that without too much effort.

best regards

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt