Subject: Re: Is O_DIRECT useless on NetBSD?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Mondor <mm_lists@pulsar-zone.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/21/2007 18:30:45
On Wednesday, 21 Nov 2007 10:09:26
Roland Illig <roland.illig@gmx.de> wrote:

> I'm asking because it is pretty annoying that the cached data for
> programs I often run (like firefox, eclipse) is displaced by data
> that will not be used. That makes starting these programs very
> slow.

I also found this to be a general issue with file cache taking too
much room on desktop systems (but being generally fine for servers)...
 So on my desktops I also modify vm parameters to allow more
executable pages and less file cache ones which helps a bit.  Without
it applications would get swapped out often during operations such as
cvs update or nightly find runs, and I would notice the file cache
grow to ridiculous proportions (for a desktop system at least).

--
Matthew Mondor