Subject: Re: ISA direct config of ACPI devices
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/21/2007 23:29:05
matt@3am-software.com said:
> Than extend isapnpdevs to have another which reflects where the ID is
> valid (isa,eisa,isapnp,???) and then have one file for isa, isapnp,
> and eisa since many items will be shared.

That would be possible. Error prone because people do
not always distinguish between the different "PNP" methods.
(I remember when isapnp was common and pnpbios came out
that there was a lot of confusion, even in the Linux
kernel configuration dialogs.)

In the acpi-isapnp case a common table would not buy us
much, because ACPI does only deal with onboard devices,
while isapnp is for plugin cards. The latter with a more
distributed namespace which would only be a burden if we
try to reduce to a "legacy-free" kernel.

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt