Subject: ISA direct config of ACPI devices
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/21/2007 15:41:49
Heyas folks --

I would like to attach ISA devices enumerated by ACPI to 'isa0' rather
than 'acpi0'. The following patch accomplishes this for me:

   http://www.invisible.ca/~jmcneill/netbsd/isa-direct-config.patch

With this patch, on a standard GENERIC kernel, I get:

   $ dmesg | grep 'at isa'
   attimer0 at isa0 (PNP0100) port 0x40-0x43 irq 0: AT Timer
   pcppi0 at isa0 (PNP0800) port 0x61
   PNP0303 at isa0 port 0x60,0x64 irq 1 not configured
   IBM0057 (PNP0F13) at isa0 irq 12 not configured
   pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60-0x64

Note that I haven't converted pckbc_isa to support direct configuration
yet, as it needs a bit more work than regular isa drivers. In any case,
the kernel was smart enough to fall back and use an indirect config
attachment here. We will be able to remove many of the driver glue in
dev/acpi/ as a result.

Also, this will have the side effect of numbering ACPI enumerated com
devices properly, which many people find annoying.

Comments?

Cheers,
Jared