Subject: Re: Pseudo audio device
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/13/2007 13:52:34
I've been spending a lot of time packaging (a tiny bit of porting)
pulseaudio in pkgsrc on NetBSD--it's a bit of an unruly beast if you
aren't using linux ...  Most of the time I've spent is working around
build/installation issues.
As of now, the build completes on i386 (pentium 4, one needs a fairly
modern processor for this anyway, especially because right now we rely
exclusively on gcc's atomic builtins); I'm just finishing up with
seperating out the various options (gnome, dbus, x11, etc.) into
PLISTs.  I hope to commit this to wip within a day or two.  Currently
I've been developing off of the svn trunk, which was working until he
committed something last night which caused m4 to stall somewhere
during the build; if that's not fixed yet, I will backport the
relevant fixes to 0.9.7.

I invite anyone who's interested to check out
<http://www.pulseaudio.org/>; it's not perfect, but the featureset is
immense.  I think that this application is an excellent candidate for
taking advantage of /dev/pad, especially since it's all but replaced
esound for GNOME (even on FreeBSD).

Regards,

--Blair