Subject: Re: CFLAGS
To: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <>
From: Allen Briggs <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/12/2007 14:26:30

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 11:18:56AM -0800, Bill Stouder-Studenmund wrote:
> That's the idea. The loading code still has to slog through the whole=20
> file, but we shouldn't need kernel memory for the debug stuff.

This is one of the things that bugs me about just using one file...
I have spent a lot of time working with systems that boot from flash
or from the network.  I don't want to load a full netbsd.gdb that way.
I'd rather have two files around.  I like what I think Andrew suggested
of having a file with some minimal debug information that you could boot
=66rom and which could be used for more extensive in-kernel debugging.
Having a full netbsd.gdb and better two-machine debugging support would
be really nice, too--I did a little two-machine debugging of a the OS X
equivalent of an LKM in my previous job, and it was quite handy.

Allen Briggs  |  |  briggs@ninthwonder=