Subject: Re: Pseudo audio device
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Mondor <mm_lists@pulsar-zone.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/10/2007 23:39:21
On Saturday, 10 Nov 2007 10:26:11
"Jared D. McNeill" <jmcneill@invisible.ca> wrote:

> I'm wondering if there is any interest in a pseudo audio device
> driver that does nothing but push raw PCM data back to userland.

That sounds like it could be useful to me.  I remember some years
back using uae to get my old amiga software running again to recover
old music I composed and compressed with a custom format, and at least
back then I couldn't find a way for unix uae to save audio output to a
raw pcm file, and didn't bother playing with its source.  And of
course I didn't want to go analog.

So if I understand, using such a device, it would be possible to link
/dev/audio to that pseudo-device, run uae with my player, and from a
small custom daemon save the resulting stream?

> So, I ask -- is there any interest in this pseudo-device driver?

If it can do the above, I'll certainly use it :)

I am also wondering if this might not also be another way (and
perhaps more efficient approach, depending on how the data is
transfered) to eventually develop an audio multiplexer system instead
of using esound or equivalent...

Yet I saw kernel code which can deal with various rates and resample
them, and I guess that a multiplexer might now probably also be
implemented in-kernel eventually
--
Matthew Mondor