Subject: Re: CFLAGS
To: None <>
From: Bernd Ernesti <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/10/2007 16:35:30
On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 03:08:07PM +0000, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 14:48:30 +0000
> David Laight <> wrote:

> > Which actually bets the question of the sanity of having two files.
> > (Yes, you may want to strip some non-loadable info for small systems,
> > but in general you don't need to worry that much.)
> >
> Agreed.  If there's no run-time hit from the version with symbols, why
> strip them by default?

Because, as mentioned in another thread recently, not all systems support
booting such a big kernel.

And it can make a different for existing systems when you don't have a
big root file system. I wouldn't be able to have more then one kernel on my
system, because there is no need for a 30 MB kernel and therefor / isn't
so big to keep two.

P.S. Mail-Followup-To is set.