Subject: Re: DEBUG/DIAGNOSTIC/LOCKDEBUG by default
To: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/06/2007 13:07:47
On Tue Nov 06 2007 at 00:45:30 +0100, Juan RP wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I believe that enabling some debugging options by default would
> allow us to catch errors faster and easily when someone makes a change.
>
> Can we please enable DEBUG/DIAGNOSTIC/LOCKDEBUG by default on HEAD?
> when the final branch is created we could remove them.

Unfortunately, in the real world, debugging options sometimes hide bugs.
So we can't think that all will be jolly good once we turn them off.
My personal opinion is that developers should run their code using these
options and the rest should use the "release build" version.

Actually, I believe in the "no debug options at all" approach, i.e. all
debugging code enabled all the time, but that's another bikeshed.

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>                     Of course he runs NetBSD
http://www.iki.fi/pooka/                          http://www.NetBSD.org/