Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sys/arch/sandpoint/stand/netboot
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Toru Nishimura <lbolt256@alkyltechnology.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/02/2007 10:29:51
Tim Rightnour said;

> I think these standalone PCI drivers are a really great thing to have in the
> system, for those machines that have really crappy boot ROMs and whatnot and
> can't do anything useful on thier own.
>
> Is this something that can possibly be moved down into libsa at some point,
> once you get the drivers working and are happy with them?

Yes, that is my plan.

> Please understand, I don't want this to be a big, super-complex architecture
> with bus_space and whatnot, just a simple system like you are doing now, where
> presumably the ports will have to provide thier own inb/outb stuff to make it
> go.

It's my standpoint, too.  Tired of debugging etherboot/grub/uboot code to
run and having strong confidence "this should be far small and simple," I  started
writng them in rush.  And yes, I want to keep LIBSA loosely coupled with the
rest of NetBSD kernel structure (or -ism API) and include files (it started its life
when NetBSD did not exist on this planet, didn't it?)  The aim is the ease of code
re-usability, or "retargetting," out of NetBSD context.  I used LIBSA derivative
code for non NetBSD OS several times and got paid in fact.

Toru Nishimura / ALKYL Technology