Subject: RE: CVS commit: src/sys/arch/sandpoint/stand/netboot
To: Tohru Nishimura <nisimura@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/01/2007 10:35:17
On 30-Oct-2007 Tohru Nishimura wrote:
> major PCI rework to make possible NIC autoconf.  now bootloader
> can have multiple network interface device drivers and choose one
> by PCI_ID_REG matching.

I think these standalone PCI drivers are a really great thing to have in the
system, for those machines that have really crappy boot ROMs and whatnot and
can't do anything useful on thier own.

Is this something that can possibly be moved down into libsa at some point,
once you get the drivers working and are happy with them?  (I see that cobalt
has already adopted some of this code)

Please understand, I don't want this to be a big, super-complex architecture
with bus_space and whatnot, just a simple system like you are doing now, where
presumably the ports will have to provide thier own inb/outb stuff to make it
go.

Also, in the CVS attic for prep and bebox, there should be a standalone floppy
driver, if you ever intend to do bio drivers.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/