Subject: Re: Filesystem I/O conformance testing?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/17/2007 18:39:31
> I'm adding a new file system to NetBSD [...] serious testing.

> We're beating on the file system with lmbench, bonnie, and fsx, but
> we're wondering if there's anything else that we could use.  I've
> looked at the Open Posix Test Suite, but it's not really testing fs
> conformance.

There are Elizabeth Zwicky's backup-program torture tests.  They're not
primarily designed to stress the underlying filesystem, but they do use
it in ways that can turn up interesting corner-case bugs.  (Things like
files with multiple thousands of hardlinks, files with all possible
one-character names, file names that push length limits, etc.)

Finding the code may be nontrivial by now.  IIRC it was a bunch of perl
scripts; I'm going to ask around and see if I can find a copy.  (I'd
like a copy for myself if nothing else.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign