Subject: RE: exporting hardware "system ID" by sysctl
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Boyer, Jason <jasonb@myjclibrary.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/17/2007 17:15:53
I know this may be a little too "Microsoft" for some, but if we'd like a
persistent unique ID for a machine, why not just make one at install
time, the way Windows machines are issued SIDs?=20

It doesn't have to be a GUID like a Windows box, but the alternative is
to have some classes of machines using a BIOS serial, some using a GPU
serial, and some with not much more available than a disk serial, for
example. (I don't actually know of all of those devices have queriable
serials, let's not get into that discussion. :) ) That's not even
considering the question of what to do when you remove/replace/add a
device that you already have present. It would be good to have a way to
query devices for their serials, but they shouldn't then be used to try
to identify a whole system.

Unless I'm missing something important (always possible), the best way
to make this consistent and as unique as possible is to assign them in a
consistent way.=20

Jason