Subject: Re: exporting hardware "system ID" by sysctl
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/17/2007 14:01:45
On 17-Oct-2007 Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> That's why (unfortunately) it seems like it really is important to export
> the type of each system ID provided.

I can certainly see the logic in providing these values, especially if there
are more than one on some of these systems.  However, I would like to see a
general one that could be queried at a lower node.. like:

hw.sysid.smbios.serial="123456"
hw.sysid.whatever.serial="78901"
hw.sysid.serial=

And in the last one, for machines that have multiple, somehow we select one
(perhaps user does this) or for machines that have 1, we copy it down.  I'm
almost thinking something like:

sysctl -w hw.sysid.serial=hw.sysid.smbios.serial

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/