Subject: Re: exporting hardware "system ID" by sysctl
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/17/2007 16:32:23
On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 01:28:46PM -0700, Tim Rightnour wrote:

> I don't think it makes sense to put it under hw.sysid.smbios.  I like the idea
> of hw.sysid, but then to have an additional node under smbios seems like it
> would make it harder to use this information in an MD way, you would have to
> know the leaf nodes for all the different systems.
>
> For example, on prep, we have:
>
> PrintableModel = IBM Model 7024E20 (c0ED)
> Serial = IBM70249451371
> FirmwareSupplier = IBMFirmware
>
> I can see how the serial number might be useful as a unique ID for this
> machine.

But the system whose data I posted doesn't have one unique ID - it has
several.  We can't do something like compute a single, opaque system ID
in the kernel and export it as hw.sysid because then newer kernels which
know how to find more types of serial numbers will cause the system ID to
change.

That's why (unfortunately) it seems like it really is important to export
the type of each system ID provided.

Thor