Subject: Re: Thread benchmarks, round 2
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Mindaugas R. <rmind@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/06/2007 19:51:45
Andrew Doran <ad@NetBSD.org> wrote:
> > I was only able to run in the 8 CPU configuration because when I tried
> > to disable CPUs with cpuctl, processes would hang under load.  This is
> > probably a scheduler issue.
>
> Right, I doubt that bit has been well tested since the scheduler is so new.

In this case, it is not a matter of testing - just left this part for more
thought, while this functionality is not used much. Anyway, I have made a
primary patch for this, hope will be useful shortly.

Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> John Nemeth wrote:
> >      cpuctl doesn't truly disable the cpus.  You would probably need to
> > disable them in the BIOS or build a custom kernel.
>
> How do I disable them in the kernel?

Switching the CPU offline with cpuctl keeps the execution of bound threads
only. At this moment, it should be OK for the benchmarking.

--
Best regards,
Mindaugas