Subject: Re: wpi0: Full open source driver at openbsd
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/05/2007 19:11:10
On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 12:51:56PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> I do, however, know that it's not going to be used on *my* systems.  (I
> won't use an ath either, because of the lack of source to the HAL.)

Sorry, but this is completely bull shit. This "blob" is exactly the same
as a ROM image with the only difference that it is uploaded by the
driver to the card. Do you remove all ROM chips from the hardware you
own? Do you write your own microcode patches for the CPUs?

How do you know that a vendor doesn't have the same backdoors you seem
to fear so much in the ASIC?

Joerg