Subject: Re: wpi0: Full open source driver at openbsd
To: C. K. <ck74@operamail.com>
From: =?UTF-8?Q?Karl_Sj=C3=B6dahl_-_dunceor?= <dunceor@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/05/2007 10:03:45
On 10/3/07, C. K. <ck74@operamail.com> wrote:

> OK thanks, what confused is me that, i suppose this is somehow part of the
> driver and it is binary ie; part of the driver is open source while a key or
> license (or something similar) part of it is binary and open source section
> requires binary part because of license type etc... This means, in the end,
> it has blob part to work properly.
>
> Regards,

This is not a blob in the sense that it could be potentially dangerous
since the firmware only runs on the card and nothing of that is run on
your computer. All network cards have firmware, some you can flash
yourself and some is resident in ROM on the card (e.g you can not
change it or even read it).

BR
dunceor