Subject: Re: Thread benchmarks
To: Jaime Fournier <ober@NetBSD.org>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/01/2007 17:33:45
On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 11:14:40PM +0000, Jaime Fournier wrote:

> http://www.netbsd.org/~ober/
> Some basic tests on a 4x P-III 500mhz Xeon with 2MB L2.
> I created one million rows and ran sysbench in oltp mode in both default
> ReadWrite, and Readonly.
>
> Did not make use of ZFS or any other optimizations.
> Will be testing the recommendations for Mysql on Solaris.

Nice! If you fancy doing more tests, here are some files that might be of
use:

http://www.netbsd.org/~ad/sysbench/my.cnf
http://www.netbsd.org/~ad/sysbench/jemalloc-libc.tar.gz
http://www.netbsd.org/~ad/sysbench/start.sh
http://www.netbsd.org/~ad/sysbench/netbsd.bz2

start.sh ups the limits and sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that MySQL is using the
libc with jemalloc. netbsd.bz2 is a kernel from the 'vmlocking' branch. It
will panic if you unmount a file system, so make sure you do a few syncs
before shutting the machine down if you do run it.. If you experiment with
driving the machine with sysbench remotely, the host needs to be reasonably
powerful (say, a 3GHz Pentium 4) or it will not be able to keep the DB fully
loaded.

Thanks,
Andrew