Subject: Re: Blackberry Curve, USB, and NetBSD?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/28/2007 07:47:14
On Feb 18, 11:15am, "=?UTF-8?Q?Karl_Sj=C3=B6dahl_-_dunceor?=" wrote:
} On 9/28/07, John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca> wrote:
} > On Jan 14,  1:02am, Christos Zoulas wrote:
} > } In article <20070928020839.1acf6daf@berkshire.machshav.com>,
} > } >On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:28:52 +0200
} > } >Anders Hjalmarsson <hjalmar@hjalmar.to> wrote:
} > } >
} > } >> My Ericsson phone is similar, I get the 'drive offline' message, but
} > } >> I can mount it without problems anyway.
} > } >> Part of dmesg:
} > } >>
} > } >> umass0 at uhub4 port 2 configuration 1 interface 8
} > } >> umass0: Sony Ericsson Sony Ericsson K750, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 5
} > } >> umass0: using ATAPI over Bulk-Only
} > } >> atapibus1 at umass0: 2 targets
} > } >> sd0 at atapibus1 drive 0: <Sony Eri, Memory Stick, 0000> disk
} > } >> removable sd0: drive offline
} > } >> sd0: fabricating a geometry
} > } >>
} > } >The "drive offline" seems to be a common transient; I get that with my
} > } >iPod nano, too, but it always mounts immediately.
} > }
} > } We should also add a driver so that it can charge. It is pretty simple.
} >
} >      Dumb question, but why does it need a driver for charging.  Why
} > isn't simply plugging it in sufficient?
}
} The reason why is that it needs an ok from the computer that it has
} identified and completed the handshake. Only identifyed objects are

     If there isn't a custom driver, it would be attached as ugen.

} allowed to draw current from the computer. The phone is in different

     There are plenty of things that draw power such as little fans and
lights which don't have any electronics at all.  Although, I guess it
is possible that these devices are playing fast and loose with the
specs.

} states when it's in USB mass storage mode and when it's started and
} when it's in charge mode.

     If it acts as a mass storage device, it would be detected and
attached as such, at which point it would be free to draw power.

}-- End of excerpt from "=?UTF-8?Q?Karl_Sj=C3=B6dahl_-_dunceor?="