Subject: Current kernels and power consumption
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/26/2007 23:44:04
Hi all,

A few people were thinking that recent excessive cpu temperature
and power consumption was related to envsys2. I would like to show
to everybody that it's something else and I gathered profiling
output for a current kernel on i386 with 10 monitoring events for
acpibat(4) and acpitz(4)...

The temperature was the same all the time when idle on this laptop,
55/57C both envsys2 running (its callout) and not running.

Also all the persons that had these problems didn't use MONITOR/MWAIT
but rather x86_stihlt.

I see that x86_stihlt and cpu_idle_loop are taking a considerable amount
of time, my laptop was mostly idle all the time... but might this be
related to this problem? any idea?

http://www.netbsd.org/~xtraeme/gprof-with-envsys2-events.txt
http://www.netbsd.org/~xtraeme/gprof-without-envsys2-events.txt

--
Juan Romero Pardines 	- The NetBSD Project
http://plog.xtrarom.org 	- NetBSD/pkgsrc news in Spanish