Subject: Re: sysmon uses more power
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
From: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/25/2007 20:46:32
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:48:52 +0100 (BST)
Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net> wrote:

> Not sure - that we have a watchdog is fine, but that it uses more CPU time
> than my window manager seems .. expensive?

I agree, I was only trying to help you to know what might be the cause.

> also, looking at the code, this callout fires every NN seconds and puts
> some work on a workqueue called 'envsysev' which isn't really working
> hard:
[...]
> so its not that exactly causing the fan to boost..

Ok, in that case it's something else.

> > I added them because otherwise you won't be notified if a zone gets
> > hot/critical or if the battery is in critical/low state.
>
> I've set no critical limits and powerd is not running, should there be
> anything else going on?

Those drivers are registering themselves some events for monitoring
purposes.

If you increased kern.envsys.refresh_timeout and you are still seeing
that smtaskq is using a lot of cpu time, I dunno.

What was your previous kernel, what version?

--
Juan Romero Pardines	- The NetBSD Project
http://plog.xtrarom.org	- NetBSD/pkgsrc news in Spanish