Subject: Re: code to store the path of the executable in struct proc...
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/23/2007 19:41:03
> I've been thinking of rewriting the name cache.  The changes I have
> in mind would allow you to always get the path for a file.

That sounds like a very drastic change to the traditional Unix model,
in which files don't have names; rather, links to files have names, and
links can come and go without disturbing the files they are links to.
If files always have paths, and, worse, there is a "*the* path" for a
file, something very fundamental has changed.

Will you also be providing replacements for existing filesystems?  FFS,
at least, has the "names are attached to links, not files" model wired
fairly deeply into its on-disk data structures.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign