Subject: Re: Fwd: A JBD file-system (generic Journal file for ext2)
To: Avinash Malik <amal029@ec.auckland.ac.nz>
From: Avinash Malik <amal029@ec.auckland.ac.nz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/23/2007 15:30:32
Hello,
     I have been implementing the journaling,
I had a few questions
1.) Say when I am committing (which is being done on a separate lwp than adding
transactions), my current implementation first gets the transaction to be
committed. Checks If there is enough space in the log, If there is then a copy
of the transaction is made. This copy is then sent to the commit-func-pointer
to be written to the journal. Fine, this is the normal case.

2.) When there is not enough space in log. I call the check-pointing routine
instead of the committing routine, which flushes (not yet implemented)
everything from log onto disk.

Question:

1.) Is there a need to kick a waiting thread on mutex using condvars. Because I
have a committing function which is waiting on journal-mutex and the calling
thread first acquires that journal-mutex, makes the transaction copies etc...
and then exits it. Logically this should work fine since once the calling
ufs_thread exits mutex commit-lwp should obtain it correct? So no need for me
kicking the commit thread with condvars....

2.) A trivial question, the blkroundup macro in /sys/ufs/ext2fs.h takes the
size,fs and gives back size out. From what I can make out, say if buf has valid
data size of 9-bytes and blocks in the fs were 2-bytes each then the returned
size would be 10-bytes (i.e. rounded up to the block-boundary correct?)

regards,