Subject: Re: A JBD file-system (generic Journal file for ext2)
To: <>
From: Adam Hamsik <haaaad@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/22/2007 00:37:30

On Sep 21, 2007, at 1:00 AM, Adam Hamsik wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2007, at 6:36 AM, Avinash Malik wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>      after thinking about the various journaling requirements this
>> is what I can
>> come up with, correct me if I am wrong
>>
>> 1.) We still call the commit process from ufs_commit to fs_commit,
>> but on a
>> writer thread. But before calling this fs_commit function we make
>> a copy of
>> trans_attr and use the new copy for fs-transactions. The old copy
>> is used for
>> committing. Now since, the jbd thread is calling the fs_commit
>> function using a
>> func-pointer, from what I understand the fs process will not hang
>> since fs
>> itself is not calling the commit functionality.
>>
>> Also in the commit function is where we also do check-pointing if
>> the required
>> number of blocks exceeds the number of free blocks in the log.
>>
>> If what I understand is correct (about fs not supsending-see
>> above) then, we can
>> have same functionality as linux but with support for multiple
>> Journaling
>> systems.
>>
> Ok I think that we can do it this way, it may increase our ufs-
> trans performance.
>
>> PS: I will switch to jabber soon enough, I am behind a firewall
>> currently which
>> bans me from using jabber client (by charging excessive amount of
>> money for
>> internet connections).
>>
> Did you checkouted sources from that mnt repository ? let me know
> when you write and commit some code to your local repo. I will add
> your pub key to that public repo.
>
> You should commit your changes to new branch e.g. avi-ufs-trans. we
> can easily merge changes between branches in mtn.

I forgot to say that now is possible use and develop ext3fs/jbd code
under the rump.

You need NetBSD-current and puffs enabled kernel[1] and also latest
update of my sources from [2].

> [snip]

[1]http://netbsd.org/docs/misc/puffs.html
[2]ufs-trans.mtn-host.prjek.net

Regards
Adam Hamsik
jabber: haad@jabber.org
icq: 249727910

Proud NetBSD user.

We program to have fun.
Even when we program for money, we want to have fun as well.
~ Yukihiro Matsumoto