Subject: Re: PR 36963
To: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/21/2007 07:56:15
--Ioq9Y4M6AeSMCjnH

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 02:22:05PM +0200, Jan Danielsson wrote:
> It actually boots a memory disk with a file system image from the USB
> memory stick, so the real root is RAM at all times, once the kernel has
> been loaded.

FWIW, I have the same setup (so I can remove the usb stick after
boot).  I haven't used it extensively (laziness; I never quite got
around to repartitioning and removing the small boot partition on the
HD that this was supposed to eliminate) but I never had or noticed
issues like this.

I was using X and not really logging in on console, other than in
single user, but I can try again sometime soon now there are more
specific ideas about what to look for and how to trigger it.

Oh, one other possible clue/difference: In order to work around issues
with getty and Xconsole fighting some time ago, my /etc/ttys looks
like this:

console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   off secure
ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure

and so on for more ttyE?'s.  So maybe there are fewer things with
console itself open.  Does doing something similar on your machine
alter the behaviour at all?

--
Dan.
--Ioq9Y4M6AeSMCjnH