Subject: Re: PR 36963
To: Martin Husemann <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/20/2007 09:29:00
On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 02:49:42PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 08:39:10AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > Oh.  That device's aliased outside the chroot, too, in the original /dev.
> > And init might have a reference to it, too, if it's the console.
> Does login in via ssh and exiting cause the same changes?

Hm.  Here's a thought: if he's logging in on the console, init might be
using a a file descriptor bound to the device node _outside_ the chroot.
I can think of a few ways chaos could then ensue, given subtle bugs in
the session-handling or device alias detection code...

This kind of problem is why I've never been comfortable having init do
the chroot for this sort of system configuration, FWIW.

  Thor Lancelot Simon

  "The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
   be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."	      - Noam Chomsky