Subject: Re: PR 36963
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/20/2007 09:29:00
On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 02:49:42PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 08:39:10AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > Oh.  That device's aliased outside the chroot, too, in the original /dev.
> > And init might have a reference to it, too, if it's the console.
>
> Does login in via ssh and exiting cause the same changes?

Hm.  Here's a thought: if he's logging in on the console, init might be
using a a file descriptor bound to the device node _outside_ the chroot.
I can think of a few ways chaos could then ensue, given subtle bugs in
the session-handling or device alias detection code...

This kind of problem is why I've never been comfortable having init do
the chroot for this sort of system configuration, FWIW.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com

  "The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
   be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."	      - Noam Chomsky