Subject: Re: PR 36963
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/20/2007 08:39:10
On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 11:26:53PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:

> I'm wondering if this might have something to do with the permissions
> on the *real* root, the one that's normally inaccessible because
> everything is chrooted below it.  The symptoms look a little like "it's
> fine as long as $THING is in the cache"...

Yeah.  Logging out causes a revoke() on the controlling terminal of the
session, right?  And that's going to go get the device node and pull it
into the cache... though it could be some other effect of the revoke,
too, I'd think.

Oh.  That device's aliased outside the chroot, too, in the original /dev.
And init might have a reference to it, too, if it's the console.  I
wonder if that could have something to do with it.

It's worth taking a look at the contents and permissions of the outer
/dev, I'd say.

Thor