Subject: Re: PR 36963
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Jan Danielsson <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/20/2007 14:22:05

der Mouse wrote:
> I'm wondering if this might have something to do with the permissions
> on the *real* root, the one that's normally inaccessible because
> everything is chrooted below it.  The symptoms look a little like "it's
> fine as long as $THING is in the cache"...I wonder if perhaps the
> permissions on the chroot-to mount point in the USB-key root are
> relevant.

   I will document all of these little details while I investigate further.

> Can you maybe mount the USB key elsewhere and see what the
> ownership and mode bits on the root and mount point (and everything
> leading to the mount point, if it's not directly under /) are?

   It actually boots a memory disk with a file system image from the USB
memory stick, so the real root is RAM at all times, once the kernel has
been loaded.

> More stabs in the dark, but at this point that seems to be about all
> anyone has. :-/  Except you, who may be able to do something useful
> with ddb.

   Yeah, I was beginning to feel the same.

   A big "Thanks!" to everyone who gave it a shot. If anyone is willing
to try booting from a boot image which essentially does what I'm doing,
please let me know. If the problem is the least bit reproducible
anywhere else, I'll be a much happier person.

   I'm going to take the ddb route now.

- --
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson