Subject: Re: PR 36963
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <>
From: Jan Danielsson <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/19/2007 18:11:41

Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
>>     Line 92, when ls fails:
>>   24778      1 ls       CALL  fstatvfs1(5,0x7f7fffffe270,2)
>>   24778      1 ls       RET   fstatvfs1 -1 errno 13 Permission denied
>>     Line 92, when ls succeeds:
>>     959      1 ls       CALL  fstatvfs1(5,0x7f7fffffe270,2)
>>     959      1 ls       RET   fstatvfs1 0
>> - ------------------
> That looks promising.

   Finally some good news! :)

> There are a couple places I can see that might return EPERM.  hmm...
> Have you checked that all the directories up to and including / have valid
> permissions?  How are you filesystems mounted?  Can you provide your
> /etc/fstab and the output of "mount"?

   The "outer" fstab in the RAM filesystem (I use the sysctl init.root
to chroot /, I mentioned this in the PR):

# cat etc/fstab
/dev/md0a  /         ffs rw,noatime,nodevmtime         0 0
/dev/cgd0a /ancaroot ffs rw,softdep 1 1

   The "inner" (on cgd0 (which is on wd0a)):

nl102-238-202# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/cgd0a / ffs rw,softdep 1 1
/dev/cgd1a none swap sw 0 0
/dev/wd0b /tmp mfs rw,-s=132048
/dev/cgd2a /home ffs rw,softdep 1 2
kernfs /kern kernfs rw
procfs /proc procfs rw,noauto

nl102-238-202# mount
/dev/cgd0a on / type ffs (soft dependencies, local)
mfs:761 on /tmp type mfs (synchronous, local)
/dev/cgd2a on /home type ffs (soft dependencies, local)
kernfs on /kern type kernfs (local)

   I very recently enabled soft dependencies; so they are not the source
of the problem.

- --
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson