Subject: Re: audio open()/close() inconsistency
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Aymeric Vincent <vincent@labri.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/16/2007 18:52:04
Aymeric Vincent <vincent@labri.fr> writes:

> Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net> writes:
>
>> While I don't deny there might be a bug, your analysis is incorrect:
>> the close() function from the cdevsw structure is called only once, when
>> there is no remaining file descriptor using the device.
>
> Ah, you're right. Even if the device is opened once on /dev/audio0 and
> once on /dev/sound0?

Eh, actually, I think close() will be called anyway. I'm speaking of
two completely different processes: they don't have file descriptors
pointing to the same file description.

Close() has to be called when either process quits otherwise recording
or playing would still be active, although playing silence or dropping
recorded data.

> I'll investigate more instead of thinking aloud on the list. :-)

Will do. :-)

 Aymeric