Subject: Adding -nomtime to the kernel
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/15/2007 16:28:16
Playing around with a filesystem based database, such as postgres,
is an interesting experience in trying to keep it running fast...some
of the tweaks are db related, some not...

For example, if the db is serving queries every second or so,
then there's a lot of "atime" updates that happen and mounting the
filesystem with -noatime has a noticable impact on performance.

Having done that, I'm wondering if it makes sense for NetBSD
to support -nomtime as well.  I'm not sure what impact this will
have on postgres's operation (does it depend on file modification
timestamp changes?) but I'm semi-willing to give it a shot.

Does anyone else have any thoughts/criticisms/experience on this?

Darren