Subject: Re: xterm tty ownership (LFS)
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Gary Duzan <gary@duzan.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/13/2007 20:57:55
   Picking up an old problem again, originally noted on current-users.

In Message <200707050207.l6527Z4Y020784@wheel.duzan.org> ,
   Gary Duzan <gary@duzan.org> wrote:

=>In Message <20070704165625.3635856407@rebar.astron.com> ,
=>   christos@zoulas.com (Christos Zoulas) wrote:
=>
=>=>
=>=>I don'g get it then. The TIOCPTMGET should be doing the chown/chgrp/chmod
=>=>for the pty, so that it ends up with the right permissions.
=>
=>   That's what I thought. I just updated to a new kernel without
=>any debugging, and I get the same thing.

   Here is the latest I have. I added VOP_PRINT before and after
the call to VOP_SETATTR in sys/kern/tty_ptm.c:pty_grant_slave(),
and get:

tag VT_UFS, ino 494587, on dev 0, 0 flags 0x0, effnlink 1, nlink 1
        mode 020666, owner 0, group 0, size 0 lock type vnlock: EXCL (count 1) by pid 462.1
tag VT_UFS, ino 494587, on dev 0, 0 flags 0x2, effnlink 1, nlink 1
        mode 020620, owner 100, group 4, size 0 lock type vnlock: EXCL (count 1) by pid 462.1

   Looks ok to me. Nevertheless, the terminal reverts back to the
original permissions, and I get this in the xterm:

utmp_update: /dev/ttyp1: Is not owned by you
capo { ~ } % tty
/dev/ttyp1
capo { ~ } % ls -li /dev/ttyp1
494587 crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  5, 1 Sep 13 20:40 /dev/ttyp1

   The only thing I can think of as a cause is having an LFS /dev.
Does this ioctl need to be a DIROP, perhaps? I wouldn't have thought
so, but it is a weird problem.

   Any ideas on what to try next? Thanks.

					Gary Duzan