Subject: Re: hang w/ high kern.maxvnodes
To: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/13/2007 09:30:32
On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 02:26:40PM +0100, Andrew Doran wrote:
> > One thing that seems odd is that pstat apparently tries to grab
> > all of the vnodes (even just for the -T output) and runs out of
> > memory easily.
> Yuk..

Yeah.  Matt Green put together a little patch for that & I'll give that
a shot.

> It's basically impossible to debug amd64 GENERIC.MP unless you have compiled
> with kernel with -fomit-frame-pointer. Is it a test machine only? If so
> compile the kernel with "COPTS=" and use LOCKDEBUG and DIAGNOSTIC. Can you
> get backtraces from the hung threads with ps/l and t/a? What does 'x/Lx
> numvnodes' say?

It's a development/test system at the moment since I haven't been able
to get ath(4) to work reliably as an AP/bridge.  I'll update to the most
recent sources, add those options, and see if I can get it into DDB next
time...

-allen

--
Allen Briggs  |  http://www.ninthwonder.com/~briggs/  |  briggs@ninthwonder.com