Subject: Re: Emulation
To: [Rei] Yudha Harimantoro Tejaningrat <yudha.tejaningrat@pajak.go.id>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/13/2007 11:42:28
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, [Rei] Yudha Harimantoro Tejaningrat wrote:

> From: "David Brownlee" <abs@NetBSD.org>
> To: "[Rei] Yudha Harimantoro Tejaningrat" <yudha.tejaningrat@pajak.go.id>
> Cc: <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
>
>>  I've run Win98, 2K, XP, Linux, and other versions of NetBSD under
>>  Qemu in NetBSD. There are a few issues with Windows Update not
>>  always working, but any of the apps I've tried have run fine (if
>>  somewhat slower obviously). I've even run NetBSD under qemu under
>>  NetBSD under qemu under NetBSD under qemu under NetBSD once, but
>>  that not necessarily useful for anything :)
>
> I can run Win32 or Linux, but NetBSD can't run.
> The emulation stop at warning: no /dev/console
>
> I run WinXP at P3 RAM256 with QEMU PC emulator version 0.9.0 for Windows.

 	It possibly but unlikely to be a Windows qemu issue. Could I ask
 	how you setup your NetBSD install? Can you boot a NetBSD .iso
 	image?

>> [... list of emulators ...]
>
> I'll try other emulator and looking for ... thx...

 	It depends on your goal. If you want to ship binaries or
 	confirm testing for specific popular systems then you
 	obviously need emulators for those, and today, most of
 	those will be x86 or x86_64. One emulator for those
 	architectures alone will cover most OS portability. qemu
 	will probably suffice.

 	If you want to make sure you code is architecture portable
 	as well, then the best additional architecure to pick is
 	sparc64 - compared to the 'common' x86, its 64bit vs 32bit,
 	big endian bs little endian (while x86_64 and alpha are
 	64bit they are also little endian like x86, allowing stupid
 	code which treats a pointer to a 64bit value as a pointer
 	to a 32bit value to 'accidently' get the right 32 bits.
 	sparc64 is big endian so such code will get the wrong 32
 	bits).

 	After sparc64 I'd suggest arm, powerpc, and mips as the
 	next 'best' architectures aginst which to test, though if
 	you're going overboard then i164, sh3, alpha, vax, m68k,
 	sparc (32 bit), and even ns32k are options.

 	One nice aspect of NetBSD is you can run exactly the same
 	OS on a range of (emulated) architectures, allowing you to
 	separate testing for architecture portability issues from
 	testing for OS portability.