Subject: Re: Refactoring MI devices in GENERIC and friends
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/11/2007 00:33:52
On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 08:46:55PM +0300, Antti Kantee wrote:
[..]
> IMHO we should discourage home-grown kernel configs, but OTOH we can't
> exactly do that today, tomorrow, or even next week and still have
> everything work.  However, would be nice if the project set a policy
> for moving towards this (or moving away from it, if so decided).

Then it would be much harder to run NetBSD on some machines where
disabling pci cards in a notebook case saves a lot of space.
And no, you (I don't mean Antti) don't need to tell me to buy a
bigger memory module.

Splitting out the GENERIC kernel config makes it not easier to track
what was added, because you now need to track a few more files after
a cvs update.
Right now I include the GENERIC kernel and disable deivces, where
I have a copy of the GENERIC file to compare it after the cvs update
is done.

Bernd