Subject: Re: LFS performance and kern.maxvnodes
To: Adam Hamsik <haaaad@gmail.com>
From: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/10/2007 21:46:40
I was about to propose something like this.  I don't recall what's in
the guide, but I use pstat -T to check the number of available vnodes.

There are many different ways this could be set better by default.
I'm still formulating how I think this should be done, but IMHO
maxusers is a bit archaic.  Is it so sacrosanct that we couldn't
implement something else to make tuning NetBSD more intuitive for the
"average" user?  It's always seemed odd to me to base tuning of vital
system parameters upon some constant named something so abstruse that
our documentation must clarify it in order for anyone to ever hazard a
guess as to what it really does!

How about raising the default at least on platforms where memory is
usually plentiful, e.g. amd64?  If someone's using the amd64 port in,
for example, an embedded application with little memory, presumably
this user would already be proactively tuning the system.

On the other hand, there are surely more elegant [and complex] ways to
go about this.  We could have it scale by default along with other vm
parameters, etc.

Any proposals?

Regards,

--Blair