Subject: Re: Syscalls to set CPU affinity
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Mindaugas R. <rmind@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/10/2007 07:24:57
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de> wrote:
> Which of this applies to processes and which to threads?

With these calls in Solaris you can bind processes, threads, tasks, projects
and zones according to the idtype. In our case it would be only process and
threads. Please see pset_bind(2) and processor_bind(2) man pages.

> I don't think external setting of thread affinity is a good idea, that
> should be the job of the application that cares.

Can you explain "external setting"?
Please note, that there would be a schedctl(8) (or kind of such tool), where
administrator could bind the set of CPUs for application(s). Why do you think
it is a bad idea?

--
Best regards,
Mindaugas